Normandy United Methodist Church (NUMC)
450 W. Alex-Bell Rd. ∙ Dayton, OH 45459
Part-time Position Title: Director of Children’s Ministry
This person will be responsible for the development, planning, and implementation of a ministry of Christian instruction and nurturing that will enable children from birth through 5th grade to experience God and grow in their Christian faith. Reports to the Pastor.
• Meet with the Childrens Ministry Council to establish/clarify educational goals, plans and budget related to children’s ministry. Work to continually increase the effectiveness of the Christian education program.
• Plan with the Childrens Ministry Council for childrens ministry related teacher/leader recruitment, training, evaluation and recognition.
• Coordination of the Sunday morning children’s program including:
o The recruitment, training, and scheduling of teachers, leaders and substitutes
o Coordinating and planning children’s music
o All logistics including distribution of curriculum, ensuring the availability of basic supplies, attendance recordkeeping and offerings
o Onsite direction on Sunday morning.
• Ongoing implementation of Safe Sanctuary Policy.
• Coordination and onsite direction of Vacation Bible School.
• Plan with the Children’s Ministry Council and provide leadership for:
o Churchwide family events
o Children’s parties at Christmas and Easter and other special events
o Monthly Kids Club 45 (fourth and fifth grade fellowship).
• Occasional participation in worship.
• Coordination of the Nursery Program.
• Communicate to staff, church and wider community about children’s ministry activities
• Attend Normandy staff meetings.
• Spiritually well-founded in Christian beliefs
• College degree &/or 4 years experience in a children’s ministry setting
• Excitement about and commitment to children and their Christian education
• Able to relate well to children, families and leaders
• Demonstrated organizational skills including ability to communicate, network and delegate duties
• Works well with volunteers
• Commitment to teamwork
• Competent with computer and internet skills.
A team style of ministry is vital to the success of the ministry at Normandy UMC. A team player will enthusiastically participate in cooperative planning and implementation of programs and general ministry activities. This includes regular attendance at staff meetings and sharing in the teaching-ministry of the church.
Approved by Staff-Parish Relations Committee Date: March 2022