At Normandy, we believe life long learning is an important part of faith development. We offer learning experiences beginning with pre-school Sunday School and continuing through adult education.
Children and Youth Education
Adult Sunday Classes – 10:15 am
- The Round Table Class provides Christian learning based on DVD or book studies from current Christian authors or theologians. The group meets every Sunday in the Loggia on the 1st floor of the Grant Building.
Disciple Bible Study
Disciple is a program of disciplined Bible study aimed at developing strong Christian leaders. The study gives the Old and New Testaments equal time, emphasizing the wholeness of the Bible as a revelation of God. Disciple draws upon the work of scholars, the personal Bible reading and study of the participant, and dynamic group discussion to aid understanding of the Bible. The curriculum and study materials for Disciple are provided by Cokesbury, a division of the United Methodist Publishing House. The Disciple study series is divided into the following four segments:
- Disciple I: Becoming Disciples Through Bible Study – The first Disciple study series serves as a basis for all other studies in the Disciple series. Over the course of 34 weeks, this course covers the entire Old and New Testaments of the Bible, following the biblical story from Creation to the New Jerusalem.
- Disciple II: Into the Word Into the World – The second Disciple class is a 32-week course that offers a deeper examination of Genesis, Exodus, Luke, and Acts, emphasizing the rhythm of coming to God and going for God…approaching all experiences of life as opportunities for faithful witness and service.
- Disciple III: Remember Who You Are – The third Disciple class is a 32-week course that centers on the Old Testament Prophets and the Letters of Paul, and examines the connection between memory and identity as the people of God. Participants will find common themes, including calls to remember, calls to repent, calls for renewal, and calls for community.
- Disciple IV: Under the Tree of Life – The phrase, “under the tree of life”, conveys the promise of finding shelter, security, and rest in God’s love. In this 32-week study of the Old Testament Writings, the Gospel of John, the Epistles of John, James, Jude, and Revelation, participants will see the entire process of living toward final completion of rest and reward.
Disciple I is offered every year. The other three classes are offered on a rotating basis. All classes start in September and conclude in May.
Throughout the year we have special studies and programs to enhance our discipleship. We hold Advent and Lenten studies each year. A Lenten booklet for personal devotion is provided by the United Methodist Women. For four Thursdays following Ash Wednesday, we provide soup, salad and dessert along with a special Lenten Study to help us prepare spiritually as individuals and as a Church for the Celebration of Easter.
United Methodist Women and United Methodist Men